How to use the Surname List:
- Type a surname in the search box and click the hourglass
- "Also Search Alternate Spellings" is used when the name could be spelled several ways (Smith, Smyth, Smythe, etc.). Use the down arrow to set to Yes or No
- Yes - shows records that have alternate spellings which match the surname you typed
- No - only shows records where the surname matches the surname you typed
- Clicking on the column headings will sort the list in that order; click the same heading to reverse the sort order.
- In the Actions Column:
- Click the Eyeball to view more details about the record (town names, alternate spellings, and notes/comments)
- Click the Envelope to send an email to the member who is researching the name
- Click the broom to clear the "Search Surname" box and display the complete surname list
If you are a member of KINSEEKERS, you can submit your surnames to our research database. The database is accessible to search engines world-wide using behind-the-scenes Search Engine Optimization (SEO) technology.
The benefit to you is that other members and the general public will be able to find your records, review the information you have shared, and contact you about potential common ancestors.
How to add to the Surname List:
- Click "Members Only" and login with your personal login name and password. Once logged in you will see other menu options.
- Click on Profile. This opens a window that displays information about the logged-in member.
- Click on the Surnames tab. This changes the text below the tabs to a table of surnames you have entered. It will be blank if you have not entered any surnames.
- Click the button near the top right, just above End Year.
- A pop open window will appear with fields for you to enter as much information about the surname as possible. The more information, the better your chances for a contact. You may need to add the same surname several times if the family moved from place to place over time.
- Do Not enter a surname without additional information.
- Save the data using the "SAVE" button in the upper right corner.
- Repeat the process for additional surnames.